HALLOWEEN can be a frightening experience for all the wrong reasons, says Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service, which is warning that lighted candles and fireworks can ignite costumes and hair.

Lanterns made from hollowed out pumpkins can also be hazardous as, if they tip over, the candles can set light to costumes, curtains, clothes, and furniture.

Lanterns should never be made from plastic bottles or other potentially dangerous items.

Perry Payne, of the service’s community safety department, said: “We don’t want to stop people enjoying Halloween, but we do want them to celebrate safely by following some simple advice.

“We are asking parents to think very carefully about the fire risks before encouraging children to make their own Halloween lanterns.

“We also want to encourage parents to only buy Halloween costumes and masks that are labelled as flame resistant. Children should be kept away from naked flames at all times.”

Text courtsey of www.thisiswiltshire.co.uk

Share →

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>